Laminate floors can add a lot of beauty and value to your home, if you know how to take care of them. Find out the most common mistakes made with laminate floors and how to fix them (or even better, how to avoid them):
1. TOO MUCH WATER – It is true that for cleaning a dirty floors you need water, but the problem with a laminate floors is that too much water goes into the cracks between the planks and can cause swelling and damage that is irreversible. A little water goes a long way on a laminate floors. Sticky or dirty sections can be spot cleaned using a rag and spray bottle without having to mop the entire floor.
2. WRONG CLEANERS – Many cleaners can dull the look of your laminate floors, especially if they are used too often. If you have a laminate floor cleaner that you love, be sure to follow the usage instructions. It’s tempting to think that more soap equals more clean, but that simply isn’t true. Often all that a laminate floors need to make it clean is a good dusting, or a light mopping with water only.
3. VACUUMING AND SWEEPING – Laminate floors need to be vacuumed or swept very often in order for them to be clean, because a dirt is an enemy to laminate, since it scratches and dulls the finish of the floor. However, sweeping or vacuuming improperly can actually do more damage to your laminate than the dirt. If you use a vacuum cleaner, be sure to turn the brush roll off to avoid scratching the surface of your floor.
4. FURNITURE DAMAGE – A beautiful furniture can compliment a beautiful floor, but to protect that laminate floor, you need to be aware of a few things. Furniture pads on the bottoms of heavy furniture will protect the floor from scuffing and gouging.
5. STREAKS – There´s nothing worse than a streaky floors, especially after the cleaning. To remedy this, try a different cleaner or less cleaner. Cleaning part can be enough with a water and a bit of glass cleaner, but you can also buff the floors dry with an absorbent towel after you are done mopping.
6. PLANTS – Be aware if you have potted plants on your laminate floors, because overfilling them, or leaks in your planters can cause damage that may be hidden temporarily. Protect the floors by paying attention to the watering, and using a pad to protect the floor under the pots. To be extra careful, move the plants up onto a higher surface.
7. PETS – Pet food and water dishes can also present issues for laminate floors. Try using a pad under your pet dishes that will protect the floor from scratching and dampness.
Decomagna Ltd. is the official agent to Belgian Quick-Step laminates in Kenya and East Africa. For more info you can contact us via email: email@example.com and mobile phone: +254 (0)7 28 787 435 (www.decomagna.com), if you want to know more about Quick-Step flooring, visit: www.quick-step.com.